News Room Archive
AIGN–BCA Carbon Pricing Forum
23 March 2011
Australian Industry Greenhouse Network–BCA Carbon Pricing Forum
The Business Council of Australia and the Australian Industry Greenhouse Network (AIGN) hosted a forum in Canberra today on the issues influencing the implementation of a carbon price in Australia.
Speakers at the forum included:
- the Minister for Climate Change and Energy Efficiency, the Honourable Greg Combet
- Rod Sims, Director, Port Jackson Partners Limited
- Dr Andy Stoeckel, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, ANU
- Gary Banks AO, Chairman, Productivity Commission
- Paul Hyslop, Chief Executive Officer, ACIL Tasman.
The forum panel discussions were chaired by Miles Prosser, Chair of AIGN and Executive Director of the Australian Aluminium Council; Maria Tarrant, Acting Chief Executive of the Business Council of Australia; and Dr Malcolm Roberts, Executive Director of the National Generators Forum.
Issues discussed at the forum included:
- carbon price design
- desired design features of Australia’s policy response to the greenhouse challenge
- the microeconomics of trade competition
- calculating the effective carbon price of measures taken by other countries
- the Productivity Commission study of emissions reduction policies and carbon prices in key economies
- energy security
- electricity generator issues and implications for consumers.
Copies of the papers and presentations released following the forum are available at the AIGN website.
The Business Council of Australia is not responsible for the content of external websites.